Sunday, February 08, 2015

Jesus, Mary and Joseph

We named our son Joseph because we want him to love Jesus and Mary. This morning I took my 15 month son to Mass and we did our usual ritual of saying a Hail Mary at Our Lady's statue, praying briefly in front of the Blessed Sacrament and doing a toddler version of the Stations of the Cross where he points and I tell him, "Jesus loves you."

It's both a privilege and an honour to raise a child as a Catholic Christian but hoping that these little rituals help to give him hints of the Faith at an early age. 

On the way to Mass we passed an evangelical church and he points at the cross and said "Jesus". Each time he sees a cross, I tell him that Jesus loves him. Of course he won't understand the concept of sin and redemption at an early age but why not share the good news in any case?

My proudest moments this morning though were when he dipped his hand in the holy water and touched his forehead (has to start somewhere) and when I held him as we knelt down for the Eucharistic Prayer and he actually genuflected!

As Christians we are commanded to evangelise. The family is a good place to start. 

No comments:

Post a Comment