Thursday, December 05, 2013

Why don't so many men go to Mass?

Fr Z has written an article about why so few men go to Mass nowadays and to be honest I agree.

I would go to Mass regardless but am soblessed  to be able to worship in the older rite in Hong Kong which is manly and solemn - not emasculating as what often passes for liturgy nowadays. 

As a child I'd be embarrassed being asked to do elephant impressions and various other actions during children's Masses - this isn't a criticism of Vatican II but some of what can often happen nowadays. 

In the older form of Mass I feel I can pray, worship, be silent and adore God. 

Deo gratias for Pope Benedict's decision to free the older form and Pope Francis' decision to support it. 


4 comments:

  1. I couldn't agree more!

    www.thesocietyofsuchpiousgents.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Same. Sometimes I'm really baffled as to why seemingly faithful Catholics would ever willingly miss mass, but then when I have to go to a 'happy clappy' mass (if I'm pushed for time, for example), I dread it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both for your comments.

    Bertrand, your blog is rather amusing but I have to say that your facile comments are about as convincing as those of the SSPX.

    Rhoslyn, thank you for this - I have only recently discovered your blog. May I link it to here? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Mr EnglishCatholic - I was at a slight loss as to what you were referring to when you mentioned the SSPX
    so I googled them. I am absolutely appalled at what I read on the website. It seems to be a rather poor parody of the Society of Such Pious Gents. I am all for a bit of satire, but the articles putatively written by 'Bishop Williamson' are so far fetched they were ridiculous. All the best, Bishop Bertie.

    ReplyDelete