Thursday, March 11, 2010

Asperges

The Asperges is one of my favourite pieces of music and is particularly appropriate during Lent. It is sung outside of Easter time during the sprinkling of the congregation with holy water, as part of an entrance ritual, symbolising the cleansing of the people. The Western (Latin) part of the Catholic Church insists that Gregorian Chant has pride of place in its worship as reaffirmed during the Second Vatican Council.

"You will sprinkle me Lord with hyssop and I will be made clean. You will wash me and I shall be whiter than snow. Have mercy on me God according to your great mercy. [Psalm 51(50)] Glory be to the Father, and to the Son and to the Holy Spirit."

2 comments:

  1. Welcome to blogville... a very good start.

    The Romans also gave us the Melting Pot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Charles,

    I thought it would be easier playing around posting other people's work initially rather than my own erudite writings.

    Do you mean the Melting Pot as in different cultures becoming as one or the restaurant?

    http://www.meltingpot.com/

    ReplyDelete